Pat and Bee's Life

At the speed of crazy!


Friday, May 26, 2006

The Revo..whatever

Warning: This memory is 20 years old!

It was Christmas morning in Greeley, Colorado. There was snow outside. We had a HUGE something in our frontroom that was covered with a white sheet. The kids had "overheard" mom and dad talking to someone they called "the pet store guy" about "feeding the fish". This was, of course, when we got locked in the basement (not like that people, we had a tv and a playroom and lots of air, and a bathroom down there!!) and had to put our ears to the door to find out what was going on.

We were never really allowed in mom and dad's room anyway, but especially around Christmas. Apparently, they played with our toys before we got to. Cheaters.

We take off the sheet, and instead of a super duper huge fish tank, there's a computer. An Apple IIGS. The kids were kinda bummed. We wanted fish. But we were happy with the computer once dad showed us what it could do. Along with the computer came the coolest thing I've ever seen. A Nintendo Entertainmant System.

We got a 3 pack game with Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt (complete with corded gun and laughing dog), as well as track meet game with a powerpad that you ran on to compete. IT WAS COOL.

Fast forward 20 years. The newest Nintendo offering is called a Wii (I will ONLY call it a Revolution). And so, here is my story.

I will only by a revolution
[Edit: and someday I will learn to spell "buy"]

Remember the good old days of E.T., Q-Bert and Frogger on the Atarri? Remember watching your mom and dad pull at the controllers and yank the cord out of your Nintendo when they tried to make Mario jump over turtles and holes? Remember the days of Link and Zelda, of Square? Final Fantasy, Earthbound, Secret of Mana, Bubble Bobble, Contra, Darkwing Duck, and the loads of fun you had? Remember games filled with puzzles and fun, and not "realistic graphics" but no gameplay? Remember when sports games were less like Madden-realistic and more like Tekken Bowl or Mike Tyson?

I miss those days. I miss Dr. Mario and Crystalis and that other game that Pat will kill me for forgetting the name of. I miss Star Tropics and weird banana weapons and dolphins carrying you around. I am making a stand against stupid Sony and stupid Microsoft changing the games and the systems that I love, and I am sticking with the NUMBER ONE profit gaming console system in the world, NINTENDO!

And so I say...bring on the Revolution. If I ever regularly call it the Wii, may I be struck down by Gannon himself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home