Pat and Bee's Life

At the speed of crazy!


Thursday, December 07, 2006

Today is a weird day in news!

This story from the Christian Science Monitor shocked me to my very core!
When America's first Muslim congressman, a Democrat from Minnesota, let it be known he will carry a Koran to his swearing-in ceremony on Jan. 4, conservative pundit Dennis Prager called it "an act of hubris ... that undermines American civilization."

In a web column, the talk-show host said, "Insofar as a member of Congress taking an oath to serve America and uphold its values is concerned, America is interested in only one book, the Bible. If you are incapable of taking an oath on that book, don't serve in Congress."


You've got to be kidding me. If he wanted to carry a Book of Mormon would you be so outraged Mr. Prager? He is swearing to uphold the constitution, not the bible, or the koran, or your weird views. Now personally, I wouldn't have voted for him, and not because of his relgious beliefs. But since he's been voted in by the constituents of the area, he gets to serve. Whether you like it or not.

Yes, our U.S. history is based on a Christian past. But it's also based on Religious freedom. As far as I, personally, am concerned, as long as your religion doesn't molest children, or break the law in any other way, you're pretty much allowed to operate in the U.S. I don't have to like it. BUT I HAVE TO ALLOW IT. The same freedoms that allow those people to believe what they believe allow me to believe what I believe, and to express my opinions without being shot.

Now I'm not saying, Mr. Pruger, that you can't have your own beliefs. They can be small minded, or religiously biased, or racist. Our country allows that. But when you start saying things that are un-American in their basic stance, you open yourself up to ridicule and being called a stupid ass....which is what you are. =)

k, thanks

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home