Pat and Bee's Life

At the speed of crazy!


Sunday, November 08, 2009

Cooking Little Bee!

So, I guess I should change the title of this entry, since I do not plan to actually cook myself. I have however, spent more time cooking for Pat and I! It's very exciting, and I do LOVE to cook, it's just I've had a few bad experiences when Pat and I first got together, so I had sort of given up on it.

So far though, Pat hasn't picked any bits out of his food or refused to eat anything, so I think I'm on the right track. The next trick will be to try to cook a bit healthier, since nothing I know how to cook could even be considered slightly healthy. Occupational hazard of being brought up in a household with mom cooking 24/7?

Not to say mom didn't cook healthy - I just didn't pay attention when she did. Fried chicken, enchiladas, Chile Colorado, Menudo...I can do those no problem! Healthy, not so much.

It's annoying that the healthy recipes tend to have 178 ingredients like fresh thyme and chives as well as requiring steps like:
Blanch the broccoli in the boiling water until the stems just begin to get tender, about 1 or 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Let's be honest. I ain't blanching anything, ever, period. Yes, that's the price I pay for not being a gourmet chef, but if there's more than 8 ingredients and you can't figure out how to get it done without blanching, broiling, sifting, or sorting - it just isn't going to happen.

But it's been a lot of fun, and if anyone has any easy recipes they'd like to share, I'd love to have them!!!

Since I probably won't get another entry in before Wednesday, I'd like to thank everyone who serves or has served this country under the armed forces. I'd also like to thank their loved ones, family, friends, co-workers, and landlords.

It's not easy when someone ships off, whether it's to Kansas or Afghanistan (or Alaska...looking at you K). It's even harder when your country pretends there's not a problem, or abandons you without the war fighter support you deserve (looking at you President, House, and Senate).

There's been a lot of sacrifices given to this country from around the land. Do not take it for granted.

B

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home