Pat and Bee's Life

At the speed of crazy!


Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Help! Help!

I'm re-reading the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I'm sure no one is shocked this is a regular occurrence for me. But it got my thinking last night about my love for fantasy and Sci-Fi.

It all started with my dad.

When I was little he read me Farmer Giles of Ham. He did the voice of Garm the dog and Chrysophylax the dragon and lots of little characters. Then we read The Hobbit. To be honest, I don't know what else he read to me - but I was hooked. I tore through every J.R.R. Tolkien book I could get my hands on, including The Silmarillion.

Then I moved onto Isaac Asimov. His Foundation series and Lucky Starr series had me hooked on sci-fi and the possibilities of technology in the future.

I've read (or been forced) to read many book. Classic novels, biographies, fantasy....I went through a huge Nancy Drew kick around 17-18 which disgusted Dad because they had little challenge in them, but I had spent so much of my childhood reading difficult and challenging books it was nice to just read mindlessly.

Right now I'm struggling to get through Norman Schwarzkopf's autobiography, It Doesn't Take A Hero. I struggle with it because, well, it's really long and heavy and by the time I get time to read it's hard to remember where I was and pay much attention. It's a great book though!

But my true love is in fantasy. David Eddings, Robin Hobb, Asimov, Tolkien, C.S. Lewis - and at least once a year I need to read George MacDonald's The Princess and The Goblin - which Dad may have read to me. I ADORE that book.

No matter how far away I am from Dad, there's something about reading these precious words that makes me closer to him. Makes me appreciate his love for reading that he instilled in me, and makes me wish we would make time to just sit and talk about why we love books.

We're going to San Diego for Thanksgiving. Maybe I'll just sit him down so we can chat. We hardly ever do that. I miss it.

Now, I'm off to bed and have to choose between page 24 of The Fellowship of the Ring and about a third of the way through the General 's book. I have a very good feeling it's going to be hobbits all the way.

Love you Daddy. Thank you for giving me this awesome gift.

1 Comments:

Blogger J M Mellin said...

This is so sweet! I'm going to have to talk to Mike about reading Tolkien to the girls!

7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home